The main building is a signal tower built around 1805. It was one of a network of signal towers built around the south, east, and west coasts in the early nineteenth century to ensure a quick response to attempted invasion, following an attempt by a French fleet to land at Bantry in 1796. They were built in line of sight of each other so a signal could be sent along the coast in the event of a possible invasion by the French.
The smaller structure on the right is an observation post from the Second World War and it was built to keep an eye on shipping.
Location: Knockadoon, Ballymacoda, County Cork